Thursday, July 1, 2010

11:11... What Do You Wish For?

Dear Charlie,

Look! I'm writing! And it's not 11:00 at night!

You know when you look at the clock and it's 11:09 and you make a mental note to look at it in 2 minutes, but your brain mistakes that for 3 minutes, and by the time you look back it's 11:12?

Well, when I look at the clock and it says 11:11 I panic and think: "What the heck should I wish for?"

I could wish that I was popular and well liked...
I could wish that I was semi-athletic, and coordinated enough to do a sport...
I could wish that I had a cool superpower...
I could wish that I was an amazing piano player, instead of making it by with chords...
I could wish that I had someone to always talk to, and do everything with...
I could wish that I didn't eat whenever I'm bored...
I could wish to up that B+ in Algebra to an A so I can say honestly I made all A's...
I could wish...

Then I look at the clock and realize I missed it, it's 11:12, darn.

But, when I think about it, the phrase "Be careful what you wish for, 'cause it just might come true" makes a ton of sense.

Every choice we make, everything we do, ultimately makes us who we are. Even though we all just want everything to be happy and wonderful, there's a reason for those hard times. They help us get stronger and work for the good times.
Sometimes I wish I could get something I've always wanted. But what fun would it be if I just got it? It takes most people years (unless you're an extremely gifted person) to get extremely good at piano. But if I got that talent overnight, it wouldn't be much of an accomplishment, I would feel as though I cheated off a test or something.
But that's coming from a person who will kill anyone personally if they try to share the ending (or any insignificant detail) of a movie/book/tv show/etc. with her.

Sometimes I wish I could go back and undo all of my mistakes, and make all of my hard times go away. But then I look at myself now, without each and every hard time, I would not be who I am. Maybe that's good, or maybe that's not, but I know God will lead me through both good times and bad to make me the person He wants me to be.

Hey, look! A shooting star! Oh great, here we go again...

-Bethany

1 comment: