Thursday, July 1, 2010

I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing

Dear Charlie,

It's funny how people feel the need to tell you that you're quiet or shy. I mean, do they think that I don't know I rarely speak... well, sometimes I don't, I'm too wrapped up in my own thoughts, and I doubt anyone will talk to me. But I know I'm quiet, you don't need to tell me, thank you.

But those who don't know me don't know that my mouth can run for hours without getting tired. I talk so much that you'd want to cover your ears. When I was little, I used to make friends with everybody, even strangers.

I'm not sure really what happened, but I just stopped talking one day. Maybe there was nothing left to say, maybe I gave up trying to say it all.

But, when you see someone, and they never talk, most people ride them off as "the shy person" or "the quiet person", and don't give them a second thought or glance. But have they ever tried listening to them? Not just hearing their voice but actually listening to them? Maybe they've got more to say that can't be told by opening and closing their mouth like some strange fish.

So, to the next person who says to me "You don't talk much, do you?" I'd like to tell you "I do, you just aren't listening."

-Bethany

4 comments:

  1. Bethany, this was very well written. You have a remarkable gift. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shyness can be mistaken for a lot of things. If you are a teenage girl and do not converse much, a teenage boy may mistake your shyness for being stuck up, or another girl may mistake it for you being snobby. I was very shy growing up. I wish that I had been a little more talkative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great insights. And I agree with your Mom, very well written.

    ReplyDelete
  4. “We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature - trees, flowers, grass- grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence... We need silence to be able to touch souls.”
    - Mother Teresa

    See...silence isn't such a bad thing. I'll take quality over quantity any day!

    ReplyDelete